Counselling -how it works.
While people often wonder what to expect from counselling with me the outline below provides some guidelines.
- Counselling is often a longer term treatment that focuses on gaining insight into more chronic physical, mental, social and emotional problems which are repeatedly impacting your everyday life.
- I work with theoretical understanding that what happens when we are infants, children, adolescents, and young adults has a long-term impact on: The way we see the world, the types of relationships we have, the way we feel about ourselves, the world and others. As a way of coping with these experiences people develop ‘psychological defences’ which may take the form of; dysfunctional relationships, high levels of anxiety, isolation, or any number of substance/ behavioral addictions which can keep people trapped in an unhealthy cycle.
- Counselling can also be aimed at more specific or crisis events. These can include life changes, crisis, conflict, relationship problems, the loss of a loved one, anxiety and depression.
- Caroline is proactive around providing “here and now” solutions while understanding the historic patterns which have lead to specific issues. This approach is aimed at addressing the underlying issues rather than quick temporary fixes.
What To Expect:
- Weekly sessions are initially recommended which are then spaced out to fortnightly. This approach supports you in creating longer term foundations and change while have the support to work through obstacles as they arise.
- I believe that our modern society is changing rapidly and this is often apparent in the varied continuum of sexuality ,traditional and non-traditional definitions of relationship . My counselling approach is inclusive of these and I actively encourage non judgmental exploration and solutions.
- Caroline’s work is based on “talk therapy” which is combined with practical tools that give you the ability to make long term changes
- You will learn how to change or accept your thoughts, feelings, behaviours and in turn develop more effective positive life strategies.
- Counselling can often be short term if the problems are situation specific or focused on developing strategies and solutions to issues of communication, managing stress or grief. Long term therapy is more suitable if the issues have been present for long periods of time and are interfering with present day living. This may include anxiety, depression, PTSD , addictions or trauma.
- Counselling is about working together to find out the blocks and repeating cycles but also create the changes you want. I believe that knowledge is important and strive to provide a place where you feel understood but more importantly you understand therapy in clear and meaningful ways
- Family or couples therapy is encouraged to support you in developing the on going networks and changes that you seek.