Counselling -how it works.
While people often wonder what counselling is the outline below provides some guidelines.
- Counselling/therapy is a longer term treatment that focuses on gaining insight into chronic physical, mental, social and emotional problems which are significantly and chronically inhibiting everyday life. Therapy works with the belief that what happens when we are infants, children, adolescents, and young adults has a long-term affect on: The way we see the world, the types of relationships we have, the way we feel about ourselves, the world and others. As a way of coping with these experiences people develop ‘psychological defences’ which may take the form of; dysfunctional relationships, high levels of anxiety, isolation, or any number of substance/ behavioural addictions which can keep people trapped in an unhealthy cycle.
- Counselling can also be aimed at more specific situational issues which require shorter term support to address. These can include life changes, crisis, conflict, relationship problems, the loss of a loved one, anxiety and depression.
- Caroline combines aspects of both practices providing the here and now tools for what are often issues stemming from historic patterns or events .
Is Caroline Williams Counselling right for you?
- Do you feel that your life is a series of struggles or repeating patterns?
- Do food, relationships, alcohol and/or other substances negatively impact your life, or the life of someone you love?
- Are you experiencing ongoing health issues such as: chronic fatigue and other stress related problems?
- Do you want to let go of a painful past, but struggle to do so?
- Do you want caring and professional support through crisis or trauma?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, then Caroline Williams can help you create long lasting, meaningful changes.
What To Expect:
- Weekly sessions are recommended. However, as T&C progresses these may change to fortnightly, monthly and as required
- Caroline’s work is based on “talk therapy” which is combined with practical tools that give you the ability to make long term changes
- You will learn how to change your thoughts, feelings, behaviours and in turn develop more effective positive life strategies.
- Counselling can often be short term if the problems are situation specific or focused on developing strategies and solutions to issues of communication, managing stress or grief. Long term therapy is more suitable if the issues have been present for long periods of time and are interfering with present day living. This may include anxiety, depression, PTSD , addictions or trauma.
- Counselling is about working together to find out the blocks and repeating cycles but also create the changes you want. I believe that knowledge is important and strive to provide a place where you feel understood but more importantly you understand therapy in clear and meaningful ways
- Working alongside other health professionals with your agreement and participation is welcomed, this can range from your GP, psychiatrist to naturopath or other holistic therapists.
- Family or couples therapy is encouraged to support you in developing the on going networks and changes that you seek.